CANVAS in FISD
Who has access?
All FISD parents and guardians can log in to CANVAS using their SKYWARD login. Parents or guardians of students at Friendswood Junior High and Friendswood High School will see the courses their students are scheduled into. K-5 campuses have access to CANVAS but are not fully on the system this year. Some K-5 classes are piloting Canvas this year and those teachers will notify their parents.
What is Canvas?
Canvas is a learning management system (LMS) that allows teachers to provide instructional support, class calendars, assignments, communication and resources for students in a safe online environment. For traditional face to face classes, Canvas is an integral part of sharing blended classroom instruction.
What is an observer role in Canvas?
Observers have limited permissions that allow them to see what is going on in a course and a calendar of assignments. Like students, Observers cannot view a course until it is published and the course has started. For assistance with Assignments, Test Dates, Quizzes, or other Canvas course content, please contact your child’s teacher.
What can parents view in Canvas?
Below are the features available to Parents. Please note that not all courses use all features.
• Set your Notifications
• View the Dashboard
• View the course Syllabus
• View prompts but not participate in Discussions
• View but not submit Assignments
• Preview and download some Files
• View the Modules Page
• View Canvas Grades
• View the Calendar
• Communicate with the teacher
How will parents access Canvas?
• The link to the Canvas login is located at http://myfisd.instructure.com. Please remember to bookmark the Canvas login website for future quick and easy access.
• You will use your username that you use for SKYWARD. You will need to click forgot password the first time you access CANVAS so that you can set a password for the CANVAS system.
• If you are experiencing trouble with your CANVAS login or password, please contact Tech Services at 281.482.1621 or [email protected]
• Parents should not use their student’s log in credentials.
• The Canvas app is available in Google Play and the App Store for tablets and smartphones. Windows devices use the browser.
• Canvas is new to the District and campuses are developing plans for parents as observers.
How can I learn more about being an observer in Canvas?
Please view the Canvas Parent Observer Guide
- You can change the color course modules for each of your children. When on the Canvas app click the pencil icon on the upper right of a course module. On a computer you will click on the three dots on the upper right of a course module to change the color.
- You can nickname the course modules when on a computer to make them easier to identify. When on the computer you will click on the three dots on the upper right of a course module to nickname a course.
- You can show only the course modules you are interested in seeing on your dashboard. Click on Courses in the navigation bar and scroll down to All Courses. Put a yellow star next to the courses you want to see on the dashboard. This can be changed and updated as often as you like. This setting your “favorites”. On the App you will click the gear in the upper right to get to all courses.