Eligibility for Special Services

hands up image
How to Refer for Services
Getting help for your child

Questions/Answers on the Process:
How long does the referral process take?
The school district must complete the evaluation within 45 school days of the date the district receives written consent from the parent for the evaluation. The district is then obligated to hold an Admission, Review, Dismissal (ARD) meeting within 30 calendar days from the date of the evaluation report. If the report is completed over the summer break, the ARD committee must meet by September 15th of the next year to review the report. The ARD committee will determine eligibility for special education services and develop an individualized education program for the child if the child is eligible for services.
Who do I contact if my 3, 4, or 5 year old is showing delays?
Please contact the Speech Pathologist at your child’s local elementary school to schedule a speech screening. If you need assistance call 281-482-0687
How do I get help for my child who is already attending school but I suspect a disability?
Please contact your child’s teacher or counselor to discuss your concerns. The campus Problem Solving Team (PST) can be scheduled to discuss your concerns and determine if evaluations or consultations are necessary. At any time, a parent is entitled to request an evaluation for special education services. However, if the district determines that an evaluation is not needed, the district will provide the parent with a written notice that explains why the child will not be evaluated. This written notice will include a statement that informs the parent of their rights, should they disagree with the district’s decision not to evaluate.
How do I get help for my child who attends Private School or is Home Schooled?
If your child is kindergarten eligible (age 5 before Sept. 1) or older and attends a Non-Profit Private School or home school located within the boundaries of Friendswood ISD, you have the right to request an evaluation. please contact 281-482-0687.
If the Non-Profit Private School is located outside of Friendswood ISD, Parents would need to contact that school district to request an evaluation and inquire about what services are offered.
Who do I contact if I have additional questions?
Please contact our Special Services Department at 281-482-0687.