The Tommy Tune Awards for the 2016-2017 season of High School musical are out. The nominations were announced Tuesday, March 21 from 6 am to 7 am via the Tommy Tune Awards Facebook page.
Before the 7 am hour, Friendswood High School’s Production of Les Misérables the school edition. received 14 Nominations in the 17 possible categories.
At 6:01 the first nomination was posted here are the nominations and the orer that they were posted.
• Best Direction – Kathy Powdrell
• Best Choreography – Alyssa Goza and Katelyn Gallagher
• Best Musical Direction – Janwin Overstreet Goode and Michael Tyer
• Best Orchestra – Julio Sanchez ad conductor Michael Tyer
• Best Technical Execution/Best Crew
• Best Lighting Design
• Best Scenic Design
• Best Ensemble
• Best Supporting Actor – FHS landed two nominations in this category
– – Clayton Senter in the role of Enjolras
– – Cade Tucker in the role of Thenardier
• Best Lead Actress – Emily Mesa in the role of Eponine
• Best Lead Actor – FHS landed two nominations in this category
– – Alex Rudd in the role of Jean Val Jean
– – Max Morgan in the role of Marius
• BEST MUSICAL or OVER ALL PRODUCTION
Created by TUTS in 2002, the Tommy Tune Awards recognize and reward excellence in the production of musical theatre by high school students and their teachers.
During the 2016/17 school year, a team of Houston-based theatre professionals will evaluate the participating high schools’ productions and announce the winners at a Tony Awards-style ceremony on April 18, 2017 at The Hobby Center for the Performing Arts. The event will highlight musical numbers from the nominated shows and celebrate the winning performers, directors, choreographers, orchestras and designers.
“GREAT JOB! You all should be commended on this outstanding musical & I’m glad. Thanks for all your hard work & dedication to this program & our students. Dr. K is smiling, CONGRATS!” FHS Principal Mark Griffon.