It’s Spring and an abundance of exciting news has come with it in Friendswood ISD. Here are the latest Top 25 news items.
- FHS won the District UIL 4A-24A Academic Meet. One Act Play wins District.
- FHS has 6 National Merit Finalist.
- SkillsUSA has one advancing to National competition. Fiona Legesse’s pin design will be used to create the official Texas state pin to be given to the Texas National competitors.
- Transportation Foreman won 1st place in the Texas Association of School bus Technician’s Best Technicians Competition. Luis Pedroza competed against 14 of the state’s best school bus technicians and will represent Texas at the National competition later this year.
- Academic Decathlon has 2 members selected by USAD to compete at the National competition in Anchorage, Alaska.
- FHS won the Good Herdsman Award at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. This award is given for quality of care given to their animals, stalls’ cleanliness and for ability to share Ag Science knowledge with area visitors.
- Ten Friendswood Junior High students competed at the Houston Science and Engineering Fair in Feb. 7 students received honors.
- HOSA had 20 students advance to State in San Antonio and now 4 will compete in Nationals in June in Orlando.
- FJH UIL Academic 7th and 8th grade Teams take top honors.
- FHS Forensics has a qualifier for the National Forensic League National Tournament in June. Zachary Appel was ranked first by every judge.
- FHS had 18 representatives at the Business Professionals of America State competition held in Corpus Christi. 5 of these students advance to nationals in May.
- Wranglerettes have won a National Championship title 18 times in their history and are undefeated since 2007. All 3 Color Guards win top scores in all contests.
- Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, Concert Band I & Concert Band II, earned Division One-Superior ratings in Concert & Sight-Reading earning each band the Sweepstakes Trophy.
- All four choirs, Bel Canto, Treble Choir, Vocal Ensemble and Campus Singers earned Division One-Superior ratings from the three concert and three sight-reading judges, resulting in clean Sweepstakes trophies for each choir.
- Boys Tennis Doubles Team made it to semifinals of the Regional Tournament.
- In art, 47 medals were given to FHS artists at the regional Visual Arts Scholastic Event and 5 artists advanced to the State competition.
- Junior High Choirs received all superior ratings in the UIL competition.
- FHS had 7 students participate in the 57th Annual Science and Engineering Fair of Houston with the majority bringing home awards.
- FISD recently named their 6 Teachers of the Year for 2016.
- Boys and Girls Swim Team had 15 Swimmers and 1 Diver competed at the 6-A State Meet. FHS Swim Team has been to the state competition 17 consecutive times.
- Cline and Westwood Elementary, Bales and Windsong Intermediate and Friendswood Junior High Cafeterias won the Gold Ribbon award for exemplary operation of a food service establishment.
- Bales Robotics Team is participating in TCEA Arena State Robotics Competition, Intermediate Level the end of April.
- Boys Track Team has 2 District Champions and 5 Area Qualifiers.
- Girls Soccer is District Champions and made it to Regional quarterfinals.
- Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten registration is about to kick-off.
Director of Communications