Friendswood High School Musical Celebrates 50 years by
"DANCING WITH BELLS ON..."
Friendswood High School Fine Arts Department received 15 nominations for the Theatre Under the Stars’ (TUTS) 16th annual Tommy Tune Awards, which will be held on April 17 at 7:30 p.m. at The Hobby Center for the Performing Arts in Houston.
The Tommy Tune Awards recognize and reward excellence in the production of musical theatre by high school students and their teachers.
After evaluating the 45 participating Houston-area high school productions during the 2017-2018 school year, a team of Houston-based theatre professionals nominated participants in 15 award categories.
FHS received nominations in every category for the 2018 production of Hunchback of Notre Dame:
• Best Musical
• Best Direction: Kathy Powdrell
• Best Choreography: Faculty Stephanie Snyder and Alyssa Goza
• Best Musical Direction: Michael Tyer assisted by Melissa Smith
• Best Stage Crew & Technical Direction: Cale Borne and Amy Thornton
• Best Lighting Design
• Best Scenic Design
• Best Orchestra: Julio Sanchez
• Best Ensemble/Chorus
• Best Featured Performer: Tyler Phelps
• Best Supporting Actress: Andrea Beasley
• Best Supporting Actor: Garrett McGregor
• Best Leading Actress: Emily Mesa
• Best Leading Actor: Garrett Morris
• Best Leading Actor: William Clyburn
“We are very excited about our nominations. Our students performed fantastic shows each night of Hunchback in February to sold-out crowds,” Director Kathy Powdrell said. “We are delighted to celebrate our 50 years of Musicals with 15 nominations. We look forward to the award night.”
March is Theatre in Our Schools Month. Fine Arts and Performing Arts are strong in FISD.