Friendswood High School Theatre Department received 10 Awards for the Theatre Under the Stars’ 15th Annual (TUTS) Tommy Tune Awards, which was held on April 17 at The Hobby Center for the Performing Arts in Houston.
The Tommy Tune Awards recognizes and rewards excellence in the production of musical theatre by high school students and their teachers.
After evaluating the 45 participating Houston-area high school productions during the 2017-2018 school year, a team of 30 Houston-based theatre professionals nominated 164 participants in 15 award categories. An additional committee considered 76 potential scholarship recipients.
FHS received 10 awards, the most awards in the 50-year history:
- Best Musical
- Best Direction: Kathy Powdrell
- Best Musical Direction: Michael Tyer assisted by Melissa Smith
- Best Actor: Garrett Morris
- Best Leading Actress: Emily Mesa
- Best Orchestra: Julio Sanchez
- Best Choreography (Tied with Kinkaid) Alyssa Goza and Stephanie Snyder
- Best Technical Execution: Cale Borne, Amy Thornton and students
- Best Ensemble
- Best Lighting
Hosting for this year's awards ceremony was local actor, and a favorite of Houston audiences, Dylan Godwin.
“What a great way to end the 50th Year of Musicals at FHS,” said Director Kathy Powdrell. “We raised the bar in educational theatre and I could not be more proud.”
Tommy Tune Awards Graphics Courtesy of Theatre Under the Stars TTA Facebook.
Pictures Courtesy of Theatre Under the Stars