Ten Friendswood High School Latin students attended both the Houston Area Junior Classical League Convention and, this past weekend, the State Junior Classical League Convention in Dallas.
All students are awarded based on their level of Latin, except for the art categories, in which the students make various pieces of art inspired by the classical world.
The following students placed at one or both events:
- Abi Ardoin-1st Place for Greek Derivatives, 1st Place for her original cartoon, 2nd place for her original poem at Area; 3rd Place for Greek Derivatives at State
- William Jeffcoat- 5th place for Mythology, 3rd Place for his model of a Roman military shield at Area
- Thomas Kidd- 3rd Place for Latin Oratory at Area
- Ben Kuo- 2nd place for Latin Derivatives at Area
- Masha Larina- 3rd place for Latin Derivatives, 3rd place for her t-shirt design at Area, 10th place for her model of a Roman Legion's Standard Flag at State
- Pumarie Madden 5th place for Advanced Latin Grammar at Area
- Dylan Richey- 2nd place for Latin Derivatives (level 1) at Area, 4th Place at State • Erin Vaughn- 7th place for Greek Derivatives at State
- Mia Wade- 3rd Place for Greek Derivatives at Area
- Andrew Zehrer- 1st Place Ancient Geography at Area
Each student at the convention is required to take the Pentathlon test which includes 5 different categories of classical studies. The following students were recognized for their scores:
- Dylan Richey, maxima cum laude (2nd highest level)
- Erin Vaughn, summa cum laude (highest level)
- Abi Ardoin, summa cum laude (highest level)
- Kamryn Ditta, maxima cum laude (2nd highest level)
- Ross Hall, maxima cum laude (2nd highest level)
- Landon LaBiche, magna cum laude (3rd highest level)
- Dylan Saunders, cum laude (4th highest level)
Michael Wells is the Latin teacher and Latin Cultures Sponsor at FHS.