Week of May 11 – 15, 2020
One more week ahead of us. . . the finish line for 2020-2021 is visible. We appreciate all you have done and for your partnership in creating a culture in FISD that is second to none. Together . . . We are Mighty!
FISD Updates include:
- Senior Parade Celebration Sunday, May 24th at 2 pm
- Virtual Learning Survey
- 2020 Employees of the Year
- 2020-2021 School Calendar
- New Administrative positions
- Senior and Kindergarten Videos
- Distance Learning and Meal Delivery
- Moment of Silence for Santa Fe
- Upcoming Events Calendar
Senior Parade Celebration: The senior parade will be held at FHS on Sunday, May 24th, beginning at 2:00 pm. Seniors can wear your cap and gown and decorate cars for the festivities! Seniors – drive through subdivisions to celebrate before you come to FHS. The Friendswood Community is welcome to sit in your driveway and cheer on those cars with caps and gowns coming down the streets of FISD close to 2:00 p.m. Radio Houston FM 92.1, will be the voice of the FHS senior parade! Make sure you tune into FM 92.1 on your radio to share in communications, music, and special “shout outs” for the parade.
- 2:00 pm – Seniors will start at Friendswood HS and drive-through route
- 2:45-4:00 pm – Seniors are encouraged to drive by other campuses to wave to teachers
- SEE ROUTE MAPAfter leaving FHS, seniors are invited to drive past their former elementary school, intermediate, junior high to say good-bye. Parents are invited to ride with or drive your senior through the parade. We ask all participants to adhere to social distancing guidelines, all seniors must remain in their cars at all times. We will shut down parking at FHS at 1:45 pm so that we can begin the parade promptly at 2:00 pm. See Aerial map outlining driving directions. See you then!
Virtual Learning Surveys: Next week, the District will launch a survey for all FISD parents to gather information on the virtual learning experience this year. The goal of the survey is to gather what worked as well as the challenges faced by parents and students this spring. We will use this survey data to help focus the work this summer and fall to prepare for possible future COVID related virtual learning systems. A survey of staff needs will also be distributed soon to gather professional learning needs for the future. Please take the time to participate as your input is very valuable to us.
2020 FISD Employees of the Year: This year rather than selecting one Teacher of the Year per campus, FISD has decided to recognize all district employees for their hard work, creativity, and resilience supporting our students and families throughout the coronavirus pandemic. This award is a true illustration that Together, #WeAreMighty.
The Friendswood ISD Education Foundation will be hosting a “Pop By Pep Rally” to celebrate all district employees. Watch for pictures on social media and SmugMug and join us in congratulating our amazing employees!
#WeAreMighty Merchandise: Final order before summer! Kick-off your summer with some #WeAreMighty gear at www.FISDFoundation.com. Click the button at the top of the homepage and get your order in before it closes on Tuesday, May 19th at 11:59 PM. All funds raised will support FISD employees. Click here to see photos of the #WeAreMighty merch across town!
2020 – 2021 School Calendar: FISD Trustees adopted a school calendar for 2020 – 2021 in December of 2019 based on parent surveys and consensus of a district calendar committee. Unless a mandate comes from the Texas Education Agency (TEA) or another governmental agency, the instructional calendar adoption remains a local decision. At the Board of Trustees meeting on May 11, 2020, the consensus of the Board and the district leadership team was to keep the approved school calendar in place. This is based on local needs and the ability of our school district and community to continue to engage students virtually in some form should this be required in the school year ahead. With time to formally prepare this summer for virtual instructional needs, the district will be more prepared to adjust to the changing COVID-19 situation through the 2020-2021 school year. During this unprecedented period, fewer than 1% of FISD students failed to engage in the learning opportunities provided. This is a tribute to the partnership formed between the parents and teachers in our community and a key belief as to why the current school calendar remains appropriate for FISD.
New Administrative Team Members: We are excited to welcome three new faces to the FISD administrative team: Ashley Birmingham – Ashley will join the FHS administrative team as a new assistant principal. Ashley has been employed in FISD for 11 years. She has been active on the FHS campus from the start. She has helped coach UIL students, Academic Decathlon, Academic Octathlon, Sr class sponsor, and for the past 5 years, she has worked as the Social Studies Team Leader. She has been the department head, a lead-up teacher, and an academic coach.
Emily Stanley – Emily will be joining the Bales administrative team as the new assistant principal. Emily has 12 years of K-3 teaching experience, three of those at Westwood Elementary. This past year, Emily served as a Math Instructional Coach at 2 elementary schools in CCISD. Emily comes back to FISD with the Literacy component and training in her repertoire, as well as the experience working with the match curriculum. She has experience leading LPAC and PLC meetings, as well as planning and facilitating professional learning. Emily has supported teachers this past year in her role as an instructional coach. She has also guided numerous professional development activities and initiatives. Emily is also a proud member of the FHS class of 1999.
Gretchen Meyer: Gretchen will be joining the District Administrative team as the new Elementary Instructional Coordinator. She is finishing her 19th year in education this spring. She has been at CCISD for 11 of those years, serving as a teacher, team leader, and instructional coach. She has an extensive Language Arts background. Gretchen has taught at many grade levels, spanning from 2nd grade through 8th grade, and has been a team leader at most of those levels. She has an undergraduate degree from Lamar University and a Master’s Degree in Curriculum & Instruction from Texas State University.
Gretchen’s experience as a leader will provide support to our Elementary Teaching and Learning Department, Reading Coaches, Lead teacher groups, support of scope and sequence development and implementation, reading academy support, and support of virtual learning for elementary students.
Kindergarten videos: Final touches are being made to the end of the year Kindergarten videos. Teachers will share these personalized and heartwarming tributes via Youtube on May 20th with their students.
Meal Delivery: At-Home Learning & Food Distribution continues: We will continue to support our students and families with At-Home Learning for the remainder of the 19-20 school year, which ends for students on May 21, 2020. FISD Food Services has extended Free and Reduced Meal distribution through June 2020. In observance of Memorial Day, the food service department will be closed and will not serve breakfast and lunch on May 25, 2020.
Moment of Silence for Santa Fe: Galveston County Superintendents are asking surrounding school districts to join with them in a moment of silence at 10:00 a.m. on Monday, May 18th to honor those lost and injured at Santa Fe.
Upcoming Events Calendar:
- May 18: FEF Employees of the Year Pop By Pep Rally
- May 18: Moment of Silence for Santa Fe 10 am
- May 20: Kindergarten Class Videos released
- May 20: Senior Sunset at Henry Winston Stadium Parking Lot
- May 21: Nelda’s Retirement Parade 10 am
- May 22: FISD Retirees & 25 Yrs+ Celebration 4pm 402 Laurel Dr.
- May 24: City-Wide Senior Celebration 2 pm
- FHS Retiree Celebration at the flagpoles 1 pm
- Senior Video released
- May 25: FJH/FHS Virtual Summer School begins
- June 8-11: Extended School Year (ESY- Special Education) Week 1 Virtual
- June 15-18: Extended School Year (ESY- Special Education) Week 2 Virtual
- July 6-10: FISD Closed
- July 11: Graduation Ceremony
- July 13: July 16: Community Education In-Person Week 1
- July 13: July 16: Extended School Year (ESY- Special Education) Week 3 In-person & virtual
- July 20: July 23: Community Education In-Person Week 2
- July 20: July 23: Extended School Year (ESY- Special Education) Week 4 In-person & virtual
- July 20th: High School summer school in person – (3 weeks- 4days/week)
- July 27-30: Community Education In-Person Week 3
- July 27-30: Extended School Year (ESY- Special Education) Week 5 In-person & virtual
- July 29: New to District Registration
- August 10 and 11: New Teacher Days – 8/10 (welcome and luncheon) and 8/11 (tech and HR)
- August 13: Under the Oaks