Week of May 18 – 22, 2020
Dear FISD Families,
FISD looks forward to closing out the end of the school year with some great celebrations, our June 5th graduation ceremony, and launching into planning for the 2020-2021 school year. Thank you for partnering with us over the last two and a half months. I think we can all agree it has been a once in a lifetime experience. We pray everyone stays safe over the summer break. There is no doubt TOGETHER WE ARE and will continue to be MIGHTY!
FISD Updates include:
- FISD Virtual Learning Parent Survey
- Kindergarten Videos
- Senior Parade Celebration
- Graduation Ceremony Update
- Summer Communication
- FJH and FHS Physicals
- Borrowed Chromebooks
- Food Distribution through June (closed May 25)
- Updates in Special Education
- TEA Assessment
- Upcoming Events Calendar
FISD Parent Survey: We want to know how we’re doing in serving your family’s educational needs during the coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic. Many districts across Texas are beginning to plan for the start of the 2020-2021 school year and a distance learning plan will be included.
Please take 10-15 minutes to provide us with important information we will use now and in the future to shape Friendswood ISD practices. The parent survey will be open through May 29th. Thank you for your input. START SURVEY
Kindergarten videos: FISD Kinder teachers were happy to share their end of the year tribute videos with their Kindergarten graduates on Wednesday. We know this will never replace a graduation ceremony but to hear teachers’ final words for the year during this difficult time was comforting to many.
FHS Senior Parade Celebration: Sunday, May 24th, beginning at 2:00 pm.
- Seniors, wear your cap and gown and decorate cars for the festivities.
- Seniors drive through subdivisions to celebrate before coming to FHS.
- Parents are invited to drive or ride with your senior through the parade.
- The Friendswood Community is encouraged to cheer on those cars with caps and gowns coming down the streets of FISD close to 2:00 p.m.
- Tune into FM 92.1 Radio Houston to share in communications, music, and special “shout outs” for the parade.
- Timeline: 2:00 pm – Seniors will start at Friendswood HS and drive-through parade route.
- Seniors may drive by other campuses to wave to teachers after leaving FHS.
- We ask all participants to adhere to social distancing guidelines, all seniors must remain in their cars at all times.
- The FHS parking lot will close at 1:45 pm so that we can begin the parade promptly at 2:00 pm.
Graduation Date change update: FHS Graduation Ceremony has been scheduled for June 5, 2020, at Challenger Columbia Stadium located at 1955 W Nasa Blvd, Webster, TX 77598 at 7:00 pm. Each graduate will be allowed four guests. We do encourage those who are medically fragile or are among the aging population who are most at risk of COVID-19, to stay home and enjoy the ceremony by watching the live stream from myfisd.com. More graduation information such as assigned seating and safety protocols will be shared in the senior packets during senior packet pickup on Tuesday, May 26th from 10:00 – 2:00. The weather make-up date will be the following day, June 6, at 10 am. Click here to see the state’s Guidance for Graduation and End-of-Year Promotion Ceremonies During COVID-19.
FJH and FHS Physicals: All incoming 7th graders, incoming 9th-grade band members, and any student that has not had a previous physical who plan to participate in FISD athletics at the Junior High and/or High School for the 2020-2021 School Year will need to complete this process. All returning athletes and band members will only be required to fill out a physical form and return to FHS trainers. Click these links for details. Physical Q&A, Physical Flyer Info
Borrowed Chromebooks: If you received a Chromebook for your student to use during virtual learning, and your student is returning to FISD next year, we ask that you keep the Chromebook until the fall semester.
If your child is a graduating senior that received a Chromebook, they can return their Chromebook on May 26 when they pick up their diploma and check out.
If you received a Chromebook and you will not be returning to FISD in the fall, please let your campus registrar know or contact [email protected] to return the Chromebook.
Summer Communication: Communication is important to us. We realize everyone is ready for a break after the last 10 weeks and we want to honor that so we will discontinue the weekly update. However, the FISD administration will be meeting weekly through the summer to shape and develop plans for the fall of 2020 using the latest guidance documents as we develop our plan for returning to school in the fall. We will update you with important information as it becomes available.
Food Distribution continues: Food Services has extended Free and Reduced Meal distribution through June 2020. In observance of Memorial Day, the food service department will be closed and will not serve breakfast and lunch on Monday, May 25, 2020.
Updates in Special Education: In 2019, the 86th Texas Legislature passed Senate Bill 139 (SB 139), which requires Texas local education agencies (LEAs) to distribute the following notice to parents:
LEAs must complete and distribute them to all parents or families of children enrolled in each LEA. These notices contain the following information:
- Changes made from 2016 to 2017 in reporting requirements for LEAs regarding special education enrollment in the Performance-Based Monitoring Analysis System
- The rights of a child regarding the provision of special education services under both state and federal law
- The process and procedures for initiating a referral for evaluation for special education services under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and TEC Sec. 29.004.
- Where to find local policies and procedures related to initiating a referral for evaluation under IDEA
Tx Education Agency (TEA) Assessment: FISD would like to celebrate teachers, students, and families, as we reflect on the level of learning that was accomplished during this COVID remote learning experience. Although we are excited about the continuity of instruction that was captured – we also recognize that this was emergency remote learning and we are currently reflecting and planning for its impact on the future.
Friendswood ISD has many teams in place to begin identifying high priority standards that were taught during this remote learning time, determining future applications of those standards, and creating levels of differentiation resources to meet the needs of our students as they arise.
Our highest priority moving forward will be to meet the students where they are when they return and to be equipped with the resources needed to address and mitigate any possible slide or loss.
FISD will be relying on the work of this team and the processes and resources they develop to move our students forward.
The Texas Education Agency is offering optional End-of-Year Assessments for the Spring of 2020. The EOY assessments have been built using released State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR®) test questions. Optional End-of-Year Assessments | Texas Education Agency
Although FISD is not using these assessments as part of its curriculum, there is a parent option available if you would like to utilize these assessments with your students.
Upcoming Events Calendar:
- May 24: City-Wide Senior Celebration 2 pm
- FHS Retiree Celebration at the flagpoles 1 pm
- Senior Video released
- May 25: FJH/FHS Virtual Summer School begins
- June 5: FHS Graduation Challenger Columbia Stadium 7 pm
- June 9: Reopen Advisory Committee Mtg 1
- June 23: Reopen Advisory Committee Mtg 2
- July 6-10: FISD Closed
- July 6-10: Revised Extended School Year (ESY-Special Education) Week 1
- July 13: FISD Reopen Advisory Committee Mtg 3
- July 13: July 16: Community Education In-Person Week 1
- July 13-July 16: Revised Extended School Year (ESY- Special Education) Week 2
- July 15: DLT – Finalization of Reopening Plan
- July 20: Board Meeting for Reopening Presentation
- July 20: July 23: Community Education In-Person Week 2
- July 20-July 23: Revised Extended School Year (ESY- Special Education) Week 3
- July 20th: High School summer school in person – (3 weeks- 4days/week)
- July 27-30: Community Education In-Person Week 3
- July 29: New to District Registration
- August 13: Under the Oaks (Back to School Pep Rally)
- August 19: First Day of School