FISD Updates include:
→ Calendar revision and
possibility of additional time added
→ Parent survey results of Reopening Survey,
→ Possible transportation changes
→ Reopening fall 2020 Committee Meeting
→ Football Season Ticket Sales
→ Upcoming Events
Calendar revision and possibly of additional time added:
→ TEA has asked all districts to consider making adjustments to their 2020-2021 Calendar to ensure adequate flexibility to respond to potential closures or disruptions to the learning process due to COVID-19. The FISD Instructional Calendar for 2020-2021 was approved by the FISD Board of Trustees on December 9, 2019. The presented calendar did not change, it was amended at the Monday night Board meeting to now include additional make-up days in the event they are needed. If we need to make-up instructional days we would do so, in the following order: January 4, April 23, November 9, May 28, June 1-4. The first three days are currently scheduled as Professional Learning days and would become instructional days. The remaining five days would be added and extend the school year.
FISD is also considering an adjusted school bell schedule to increase the minutes of instruction each day by 5-10 minutes. By adding the additional minutes to each school day, we would be building in minutes that could be used to meet the state requirement of 75,600 minutes without needing additional make-up days.
Results of Reopening in the fall Parent Survey:
→ Thank you to all who participated in our Reopening fall 2020 Parent Survey. We received over 2700 responses. This data will help to guide future decisions regarding the reopening of campuses as we navigate this very fluid situation. 43% of the responses came from high school parents, 35% FJH, 20% Cline, 16% Bales, 15% Windsong, and 15% Westwood. Fifty-two percent of parents responded that they were comfortable sending their child back to school at this time, 34.9% said they were comfortable but only with precautions while 12.8% are not comfortable sending their kids back at this time.
We realize as the summer goes on your feelings may change about sending your kids back to school so we will be sending out other surveys to check back in with you periodically. FISD is in the process of surveying our faculty about their feelings for returning and will share those results with you at a later date.
Possible transportation changes:
Can we social distance on a school bus and what is the impact of this decision? FISD is considering limiting the number of students who can ride the bus in the fall to reduce the spread and cross-contamination per TEA suggested guidelines. If we transport one student per seat we would transport 900 fewer students. We are considering the possibilities of increasing the walk to stop locations for pick-up and- canceling routes less than 2-miles from campus to meet the TEA suggested guidelines for transportation.
Reopening Advisory Committee fall 2020 meeting:
→ Friendswood ISD has continued to plan for the reopening of campuses in the fall by creating a large committee to assist. The Friendswood ISD Reopening 2020 Committee meets virtually and consists of district administrators, campus administrators, parents, medical staff, and teacher leaders.
With the status of the COVID-19 situation unclear in the coming months, we are making several contingency plans for the reopening schools. The new Reopening Webpage will host the meeting Agenda and Minutes from each meeting.
→ As many of you know we have started to experience COVID-19 cases in our district. Wednesday we shared with senior parents about a graduate who tested positive after the graduation ceremony. We realize this is a sensitive and worrisome time for many families and we want to do everything we can to be transparent as a district in our communication. The District is following the TEA guidelines for notification and developing flow charts to make the process clear while being mindful of our FERPA and HIPAA privacy responsibilities. FISD is committed to the health and wellness of our staff and students while learning to coexist with COVID.
Football Season Tickets:
→ At this time it is unknown if we will have extracurricular activities in the fall. However, if activities resume we will be ready. Football season tickets opened to the public, June 12th, at 9 am!
Helpful hints when selecting your seats:
• C Section is closest to the Band/Wranglerettes section
• D Section is in the middle
• E Section is closest to the Student Section
• You can also go to www.FriendswoodFootball.org for schedule and additional information! Please contact the athletic office by email if you have any questions. Amy Roenne – [email protected]
• If FISD experiences any delays or closures due to COVID we will contact season ticket holders with more information regarding reimbursements.
Calendar of Upcoming Events:
• June 12: FHS Season Ticket Sales Open
• June 23: Reopen Advisory Committee Mtg 2
• July 6-10: FISD Closed
• July 6-10: Revised Extended School Year (ESY-Special Education) Week 1
• July 13: FISD Reopen Advisory Committee Mtg.3
• July 13-July 16: Revised Extended School Year (ESY- Special Education) Week 2
• July 15: DLT – Finalization of Reopening Plan
• July 20: Board Meeting for Reopening Presentation
• July 20-July 23: Revised Extended School Year (ESY- Special Education) Week 3
• July 20th: High School summer school in person – (3 weeks- 4days/week)
• July 29: New to District Registration
• July 30: CPI Training for new staff and Admin
• August 10 and 11: New Teacher Days – 8/10 (welcome and luncheon) and 8/11 (tech and HR)
• August 13: Back to School Under the Oaks Celebration
• August 19: First Day of School