One of Top Three Finalists in Texas for National Association of Secondary School Principals 2007
Dr. Kennedy sought the best from everyone only because that is what she gave to Friendswood ISD for over 55 years. Through her, the tradition of excellence was fostered, expected and achieved. Dr. K, as she was affectionately known, dedicated herself to FISD and Friendswood High School as a teacher, coach, assistant principal, principal, and assistant superintendent. As the coach of girls’ basketball, she lost only one district game in nine years and won nine district titles. In addition, she was a professional photographer, but this became a hobby. For so many, she will always be remembered as the founder, director and producer of 46 FHS musicals.
In 1969, Dr. Kennedy directed and produced the first FHS musical, Brigadoon, in the old junior high auditorium. When she and Jerry Sedatole, the band/choir director, first collaborated on Brigadoon, they had no idea what a strong and growing tradition that it would become. Hit after hit followed with productions from Annie Get Your Gun, George M!, Hello, Dolly!, The Music Man, Oklahoma!, The Sound of Music, to South Pacific. The Friendswood High School Musicals have progressed from sets first made of cardboard boxes and a small wooden house to award-winning scenic designs. Over the years, Dr. Kennedy added a pit band, communication system, choreographer, and wireless microphones. The Musical grew and received numerous Tommy Tune Awards and widespread praise under her dedication and guiding hand.
The Friendswood community will continue to cherish Dr. Kennedy’s influence and tradition of excellence in the Musical for many years to come. Her legacy will be felt in each production, and her quest for only the best will be maintained. As Dr. Kennedy once said, “You have to look where you came from to appreciate where you are now.” Dr. Kennedy passed away from this earth on Jan. 12, 2014. She will be greatly missed and will hold a special place in so many hearts. Her legacy and tradition of excellence will live on in the spirit of The Fighting Mustang.
Professional Accomplishments in Extracurricular Awards
• Concession stands – organized and operated for all-home football and basketball games and tournaments 9 years
• Sponsored the first Homecoming Dance ‘68
• Student Council to State Convention first time ‘68
• Produced first Student Directory ‘68
• Athletic Policy Book – helped develop ’79-80
• Organized Athletic banquet 9 years
• Organized the first Close Up trip for students to Washington DC ‘74
• Initiated first Mustang Camp in ‘94
• Myrlene Kennedy Outstanding Female Athlete Award – presented at Athletic Banquet
• Inducted in Mustang Hall of Fame 2003
• Received FIRST Making a Difference Award 1993
• Director and producer of Musical 46 years
• Homecoming organizer 49 years
• Graduation organizer 48 years
• School calendar and Scheduling 30 years
• One of Top Three Finalists in Texas for National Association of Secondary School Principals 2007