Winner of Best Musical
South Pacific 2006 and The Hunchback of Notre Dame 2018
The awards are named in honor of TOMMY TUNE, who is a nine-time winner of the Tony Award, Broadway’s highest honor for outstanding work, and who is also a graduate of Lamar High School in Houston. Mr. Tune has been honored as a performer, director, and choreographer, and works in which he has starred or directed and choreographed include Seesaw, A Day in Hollywood/A Night in the Ukraine, Nine, The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, Grand Hotel, and The Will Rogers Follies. In agreeing to lend his name and presence to the Awards, Mr. Tune said: “High school theatre was extremely important for me in helping to shape my later career. I was fortunate to be encouraged at Lamar by a great teacher, Ruth Denney. The recognition provided by these awards can provide the encouragement that a gifted student may need to become a successful professional.”
The Friendswood High School Musical has been nominated numerous times for Best Show, winning in 2006 for South Pacific and in 2018 for The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
Tommy Tune Awards Received:
• Good News! 2004 – Best Choreography
• L’il Abner 2005 – Best Choreography
• South Pacific 2006 – Best Musical, Best Supporting Actress Kassie Parker, Best Scenic Design
• Oklahoma! 2010 – Best Musical Direction, Best Supporting Actress Teagan Batts, Best Supporting Actor Jeff Allison – Lizzy Conger was awarded a $3,000 scholarship.
• The Pajama Game 2012 – Best Set Design, Best Supporting Actor Mason Patterson, Elisabeth Del Toro was awarded a $2,000 scholarship.
• 42nd Street 2014 – Samantha McHenry was awarded a scholarship.
• Mary Poppins 2015 – Best Leading Actress Audrey McKee and Best Orchestra
• Les Misérables 2017 – Best Set Design, Best Scenic Lighting, Best Ensemble, Best Musical Direction, Alex Rudd was a Tommy Tune Award $1,000 scholarship recipient.
• The Hunchback of Notre Dame 2018 – Best Musical, Best Lighting Design, Best Musical Direction, Best Orchestra, Best Ensemble, Best Crew and Technical Execution, Best Choreography, Best Direction, Best Leading Actor Garrett Morris, Best Leading Actress Emily Mesa.
• Fiddler on the Roof 2019 – Nominations: Leading Actor – William Clyburn as “Tevye” | Ensemble | Choreography
• Matilda, the Musical 2020 – Nominations: Best Musical, Best Actress – Taylor Greny (recipient of Tommy Tune Scholarship), Best Actor (2) – Eric Jensen (Winner) and Thomas TR Massey, Best Featured Performer – Taylor Campbell, Best Ensemble, Best Lighting Design, Best Scenic Design, Best Stage Crew – execution, Best Orchestra, Best Musical Direction, Best Choreography, Best Direction. Ashley Adams is also a recipient of Tommy Tune Scholarship.
For more information about the Tommy Tune Awards visit the Tommy Tune page on the TUTS website.